Tuesday, February 25, 2014

DIY STAINED GLASS BOTTLES

Ever wondered what to do with all those useless/ pretty shaped liquor bottles? I mean seriously, some of them are too cute to throw away. Lately I've been hoarding every single glass bottle and jar instead of dumping them in the trash bin. Just because the small city of Clarksville does not recycle glass and I feel horrible throwing it away. 

One way to repurpose glass bottles is by simply adding a splash of color. Today I'm going to show you how I transformed ordinary liquor bottles into awesome decorative pieces for my home. Supplies needed; glass bottles, alcohol ink, pieces of felt, foam brushes and Valspar Frosting Spay.      
 Painting with alcohol ink is so much fun , but can be extremely messy since it is very runny and will drip everywhere. My advice is to lay newspaper down and set a designated work area. Please be prepared for colorful fingers! First I poured a few drops of alcohol ink onto a piece of felt and began staining my glass bottle. After I did a first layer of color using the felt I dipped my foam brush into the ink and added a second layer. As I used the foam brush I pressed gently allowing the ink to run down the bottle. The ink will somewhat spread out evenly. I continued dipping and pressing the foam brush until my entire bottle was covered all around.  
Once all three of my bottles were stained I allowed them to dry for a couple of hours. 
When my stained bottles were completely dry I added a coat of Valspar Frosting Spray. Giving my bottles a gorgeous frosted finish. Then, I placed my bottles aside and allowed them to dry for about an hour.

Something as simple as stained glass bottles will add a huge pop of color into any room. The best thing about this DIY is that you can customize it however you want. You can ditch the solid colors and create a marbled effect by adding all sorts of colors. It can be used as a flower vase, candle holder, center piece, decorative bottles. Whatever the use, this effortless DIY is sure to brighten up your home. Also, the fact that you get to repurpose some of those useless bottles into something wonderful is a SCORE. Have fun creating! 

XO, Nancy!





2 comments:

  1. While the jar was still wet, we took shades of red and pink tissue paper and cut out itty bitty hearts. You can add the hearts directly to the top of the first wet white layer. It will help them adhere. If you need too, feel free to paint on just a wee bit more liquid starch: 750ml empty liquor bottles for sale

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete